RIVERWALK + CHASON PARK
The J.D. Chason Memorial Park is a historic location and is where DeSoto and his men crossed the Flint River over three centuries ago. The El Camino Real, the King`s Highway, also crossed the grounds. Located within the Park is the site of Fort Hughes, built in 1817 by U.S. Soldiers under the command of Captain John M. McIntosh, and the grave of the first soldier, Bugler Hughes, killed in the Seminole Indian War.